This is a document that is read out loud and is recorded as a digital file in either MP3 or WAV, depending on the user’s needs. Audio files are suitable for people with blindness, vision impairments, learning disabilities or motor problems. The audio files can be copied onto a USB stick or sent electronically.
Benefits of the Audio format
Many documents can be read using screen reading software, but for many people a digital voice can become irritating or monotonous after long periods of use. The sound and intonation of a human voice and even music allows for an immersive experience.
Audio also makes multitasking possible and saves time for both people with or without disabilities. It also takes up less space.
Before production, it is important to define all of the guidelines with our clients in order to deliver an estimate that will meet their expectations.
Some questions to consider before starting:
- For bilingual documents, do you prefer a single narrator? Would you like the same voice for both the English and French documents?
- For what type of user is the audiobook intended? Blind, vision impaired or other?
- How will the audiobook be listened to? With headphones, in a room or other?
- Would you like us to add producer’s notes throughout the text?
- Is this your first audio production experience? If not, would you have some examples of previous audio productions that we could rely on?